Thursday 31 October 2019

Good Night, And Good Luck

This will be my last post on this blog.

I will share some rare photos from the past and then I will close it down.

The drama associated with attempting to document and preserve the Jan de Jong story, history, and legacy is taking too heavy a toll on my mental health.

Thank you for those who've supported me through this journey.

The best part of this journey has been connecting and reconnecting with those from Jan de Jong's past. Of particular note is Harry Hartman who trained with Jan de Jong in the 50s and who kindly forwarded his memorabilia from those times to me which I then gifted to Hans de Jong.

There are some who are continuing on in the best tradition laid down by Jan de Jong. Some are attempting some exciting things that builds on Jan de Jong's revolutionary work. Others are using his name to gain credibility and not necessarily continuing on in that best tradition. It is no longer my problem.

I am still white belt so this grading is Apr-June 1983. On the grading table is Ian Lloyd, Debbie Clarke, and Greg Palmer. All among the best instructors in the Jan de Jong Self Defence School. The sign above them is the old school name. The name had been changed to the Jan de Jong Self Defence School but I've been informed that this sign was brought out on grading days. I confess I do not remember that.

A young Debbie Clarke and Paul Connolly. Same time. Not a grey hair in sight. Behind them are the dodgy makiwara boards that virtually nobody used.

I am being gratuitous here because this is another photo of Greg Palmer. My mentor, teacher, eventual training partner, and very dear friend. Gone but not forgotten.

Young Deb with Jan de Jong, 'the Boss', and I confess I do not remember who the chap is on the left.

Only those who attended the 996 Hay Street dojo will remember this corridor. Fond memories.

Well, that is it. For those who are teaching and using Jan de Jong's name it is up to you to tell his story. I am done.

Good night, and good luck.

John Coles





4 comments:

  1. John - I have had enormous pleasure reading through your blogs and learnt many things about the great man I didn't know before. A great jogger of many things and you certainly got me re evaluating my stance on things koryu or western,, credentials and so on. I have no idea who the people are who pressured you, and after seeing just how much effort you have put in to writing these blogs, I would challenge anyone to try and emulate your work. Easy to tear people down, harder to do something big. If any of those people are reading this, perhaps contemplate that. I can echo Debbie's sentiments, that I do not necessarily agree with everything written on the blog, but I applause and commend you John for your mighty effort writing and recording this blog. Peace and respect. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anon. It is gratifying to receive similar comments on Facebook and by email. With regards to not agreeing with everything I've written, I've found its when people disagree that you learn the most, as long as you question your own knowledge or conclusions. If people agree with everything you do then you're probably not pushing boundaries or sailing into unchartered territory. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have enjoyed your blog. You have added to our understanding of Jan de Jong's teachings. I trained under him but I didn't know half the stuff that you shared. I'd have appreciated it more if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't stop. Don't take your posts down. It is an amazing study of Jan's life and teachings. I went to classes where those photos were taken and I had those teachers. It is a memorable time in my life and this blog reminds me of those good times.

    ReplyDelete