Friday 3 November 2023

Who Was the Best Teacher at the Jan de Jong Self Defence School?

I was recently engaged in a project where I had to analyse the teachings of a Jan de Jong (JDJ) ryuha instructor. I was drawn to the faults in their teachings, which, given that they were basically teaching what they were taught, means that I was finding fault in not only their teachings, but also those of their instructor, JDJ's senior instructors, and JDJ himself. 

I know, I know, finding fault in JDJ's senior instructors and JDJ's teachings is sacrilege within the JDJ tradition, however, it is also where unique insights may be gained which can lead to a new and better understanding of what we teach and practice. After all, as the popular saying goes, more is learned by failure than success.


For clarification, when I refer to JDJ's 'senior instructors', I mean Peter Clarke, Robert Hymas, and Paul Connelly. They are the 'anointed' ones. JDJ developed, as will be seen in a future post, the nidan and sandan gradings for the sole purpose of the trio completing them so that JDJ could award them higher honorary grades as they were to be his legacy. JDJ awarded the trio rokudan (6th dan) shortly before he passed away in April 2003.

The intention here is to roll out a series of posts associated with the originally mentioned process, including why I am drawn to faults and why I am qualified to find faults in the teachings of the aforementioned instructors. This post starts the ball rolling.

In attempting to assist the first mentioned instructor, I identified faults in their teachings, explained them, and offered solutions. In doing so, I attempted to explain why I am qualified to do so and why I possess unique insights that has led to a new and better understanding about what we do. As part of that explanation, I explained that I had trained extensively under JDJ and all of his senior instructors (see above). The aforementioned instructor countered with the fact that he too had trained under JDJ and the senior instructors, although not so much under Connelly, and even myself.


Fair enough, and then I thought about it, as is my want. Which instructor was instrumental in the development of my abilities to seek and gain insights that led to a new and better understanding? Which instructor was instrumental in my abilities to identify faults in what their instructors teach them and to learn from that? 

As it turns out, it was the best instructor in the Jan de Jong Self Defence School (JDJSDS). One missing from the 'senior instructors' list but one who also completed the grading system by being graded nidan and sandan by JDJ: Greg Palmer. 

Greg was awarded yondan by JDJ along with the abovementioned trio's rokudan, however, remember that in the JDJ tradition, honorary grades are awarded based on contribution and not on expertise or knowledge. In the latter regard, I would argue that Greg was the legacy trio's superior.

Why was Greg Palmer the best teacher at the JDJSDS? As it turns out, the answer is very simple. Greg was a trained and qualified teacher. A 'real' teacher.

Qualified teachers are generally not well respected in Australia. Even if they are afforded some level of respect, it is generally limited to teaching in their classrooms at their schools. But qualified teachers are starting to be appreciated as superior teachers/coaches as the recent experience in the Australian Football League (AFL) attests. The two head coaches of this year's AFL grand finalists are former teachers. They both served apprenticeships under Alastair Clarkson who is considered to be one of the greatest modern-day AFL coaches, and he is a former teacher. 



Having said that, I am fortunate to have trained extensively under, and with, Greg. We graded nidan and sandan together - the unintended consequences of the development of the nidan and sandan gradings :). Greg was a major influence on my JDJ experience. He was my instructor, training partner, mentor, and friend.

If I see further, it is in large part due to standing on the shoulders of this giant - Greg Palmer.




4 comments:

  1. Well the article started by declaring "faults". Can we hear some of them so we can actively engage in a debate. Palmer Sensai was a very good teacher. and practioner. I also trained under him albeit not to your level. I would be interested in your intellectual comments about the difference between players and teachers fir student who want to be the best in their endeavours. I think this is the point of JDJ and why his teaching was superior. The question of a teacher is not to produce the same but to encourage uniqueness. Be Yourself. JDJ produced 3 very different iki masters , all different. That made him smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is to discuss some of the 'faults' in future posts along with the reasons thereof. In doing so, it provides understanding and lessons for those in the present and going forward - learning from the past, as it were. Not sure what you mean by 'players' but the distinction between [ ] and teachers is an interesting issue that warrants consideration and possible exploration. One thing that is unique to the JDJ grading system is the development of teachers that goes beyond proficiency, however, it is also something that JDJ produced that proved to be a rod for his own back, as will be discussed in future posts. As for the rest of the comment, it is questionable the statements therein, as may become apparent in future posts. Thank you for commenting and I will, as if I had a choice, consider those comments in future posts on this issue.

      Delete
  2. By “faults” I assume two things. First, their understanding of technique and second, how to impart their understanding into the students whilst taking into consideration the physical capabilities of the student. We’re they a Cookie-cutter Sensei -“we all do it this way” or Sensei-“you can do it like this (personalised/modified)…” . Now, going back to the first - their “understanding”. Did they either accept what they were taught as “the way” or did they actually consider the context; what problem the technique was designed to solve and did it do that efficiently? The challenge then is if they found fault in the assumptions of the problem or its defence (technique), what did they do with that new level of understanding? Did it become “their way”, did it go back to the source tree (JdJ) and back out to the branches ( instructors)?. Look forward to the next in the series
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment, and by 'thoughtful' I mean thought was put into it and it made me think. Studying your comment, I believe that all the issues you raise are covered in the planned posts. Stay tuned :)

      Delete